I’ve travelled the world and tasted food from the most rated restaurants of the world.
I’ve tasted best strudel in the world in DEMEL, had my morning croissant at DU PAIN ET DES IDEES in Paris and enjoyed pakhlava from HAFIZ MUSTAFA in Istanbul. And much much MUCH more!
But the best cake I’ve ever tried comes from my oven and will take 30 minute of your life.
This is the recipe from my childhood. When trees were bigger and sweets sweeter…
2 sticks of room temperature butter
3-4 cups of flour
1 cup of coconut sugar (well, we used regular white back then of course)
4 tablespoons of honey
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon bourbon vanilla extract
- Separate yolks from whites
- Beat yolks with 1/2 cup of sugar until white. Set whites aside
- Add soft butter and vanilla and beat until even and smooth
- Blend lemon and honey until smooth structure
- Add flour cup by cup and stir with wooden spoon.
- Divide batter into 2 even pieces. Cover one piece with plastic wrap and put in the frizzer.
- Spread second part of the batter on the baking dish. As thin as half an inch should be ok.
- Beat whites with sugar until glossy and firm.
- Add lemon mixture and combine.
- Spread the mixture on the batter evenly.
- Grate cold batter on top of the whites.
- Bake on 350 for 20-25 minutes.